04 June 2009

Four Wats, Three Friends and a Flower Market

Hmm...this title is strikingly similar to the last one.  Perhaps I am even more formulaic than even I analyzed.  Anyway, It's been forever!  And because of that, there will be A LOT of pictures!  In a lot of ways a lot has happened, and in many others, nothing has.  I'll get to the details though.

Sunday night I got a call from Mark, the guy who does the prison ministry.  He said that Henry, the guy who teaches the Bible study I go to on Monday morning, was sick and could I prepare a lesson in case he's not any better by tomorrow.  So I agreed to do it.  He said, "this is front line mission work," referring to the phone call the night before.  Henry was worse in the morning so I did my thing.  It went really well.  The guys asked a lot of questions and there was some good discussion.  I'm not glad Henry got sick, but I'm glad I got that opportunity.  Please continue to pray for the men who come; many of them are trying to work out some important decisions.

Tuesday was amazing!  Itim, one of the students from the weekday English class at Prathunam took me with two of her friends (one of which is also a student at the weekday class) to do some site-seeing.  We started at the Golden Mountain.  It's basically this big pile of earth that was built up centuries ago by one of the kings.  There's a shrine or temple at the top.  Here's the whole thing looking up.  First is was a mound of earth, then one king added teak braces, then one finally built the concrete wall around it.

There's all these giant bells at several places all the way up.  It's supposed to be good luck to ring every one...so I did.

This is the golden chedi at the top (a chedi is basically that tower thing).  And Itim is the one standing in front of it.

This is me, Itim, and her friend that came with us and a view of the city from the top.  Umm...I'm pretty tall here.

You have to take your shoes off any time you go into a wat (temple).  See:

There were a lot of Buddha images set up inside.  There was also this thing where you take a cup that has sticks in it.  Each stick has a different number on it and you shake the cup gently until one falls out.  Then you get the fortune with the corresponding number.  Here's mine; not bad:

These are the three ladies who so kindly guided me around the city!  Yet another display of the infinite Thai hospitality!

Next we went to the King Rama VII Museum (the current king is Rama IX, he is Rama VII's grandnephew, I think).  Anyways, of course to me it was pretty cool, but I'll only share one picture.  It's the royal Thai china...not to be confused with the royal Chinese tie...

Next we went to a wat (I don't know the name).  This is a good example of traditional Thai architecture.  Most of the wats are in this style, but not all.

There are a lot of Buddha images there.  The whole interior of the outermost wall is lined with them.

Then we went to a medical/forensics museum.  We're talking human bones, preserved limbs, mummified bodies, the whole nine yards...no pictures though.  After that, we rode the ferry across the Chao Phraya River to Wat Arun.  It's ginormous, but we climbed it too.

On the ferry ride back across the river, it poured!  For quite a while.  That's why they call this rainy season.  But eventually it stopped, so we went to Wat Pho, the Temple of the Reclining Buddha.  It is the oldest wat in Bangkok and the largest.  The main Buddha image is 46 metres (about 150 feet) long and 14 metres (about 45 feet) high.  It's in one long room, but you can barely see it all at one time.

Here's the whole thing but the feet.

Then we went to the Siam Museum, a museum of the history of the Thai people and was really interesting.  They made me dress up in these old costumes, so I made Itim join me.

It was a great day.  I was definitely tired by the end, but it was well worth it.  At the end of the day we walked through the flower market.  There are just stalls and stalls of different kinds of flowers.  It smells wonderful.  I saw a bundle of about 50 small roses for 40 baht (that's about $1.10).  We had street food for supper which made me a little nervous, but my stomach handled it fine.  Praise God for that!  I was definitely pray the whole time, "O Jesus, let this not make me sick."  And it didn't.

Wednesday I spent all day at the office and then moved to the Guest House from Joe and Jeanie's.  That really was it...nothing exciting...except that I went to the movies again.  There are two girls here with the Journeyman Program.  It's a two year program for college graduates.  Their assignment is "out in the boonies" as they say, but they're here in Bangkok for a couple of weeks.  It was good to get to hang out with them.

Thursday I went to prison in the morning then the BSC in the evening.  At the English Corner I got to talk to a Buddhist monk.  Well, it was mostly language practice, not much conversation, but he was reading a book about the Pali Cannon (the Buddhist scripture of sorts) so I was helping him with the English and got to learn a bit myself.  He even gave me some tea and cookies as thanks!

Well, that was another long one, but things have been pretty busy!  Thanks for reading everyone!

13 comments:

  1. The Old Church Lady...June 5, 2009 at 8:28 AM

    Timothy! I'm still sooooo jealous of all the cool places/sites you get to see! The flower markets would be so awesome to see! =]. I was actually really enjoying a couple gorgeous pick roses in our garden at home. Gotta love spring time. Oh and that outfit is pretty FABULOUS. I would definitely recommend getting one of those and wearing it around Bluff next year. =P

    I'm glad to see God's giving you some awesome oppurtunties there. I'm still praying hard for ya! God's using you for some big time awesome stuff!

    Life for me, in southern IL, is fairly dull these days. My biggest problem is how to keep my brother's dog from sleeping onto of my car and leaving little brown footprints all over the place! BAH! Oh, Timothy! You must must MUST go and see UP if you have the chance over there. Its ammmmmazing, and I just know you will love it. Audra and I went to see it and best Pixar film EVER. We both bawled. haha.

    Well, keep the postings coming!! Always enjoy hearing whats going on the other side of the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timothy, I'm still in awe of what you are doing this summer! It is amazing to see how God is using you and what he is teaching you. I'm sorry Henry got sick but I'm glad you got such an awesome opportunity. Maybe he will just want a break now and then.
    The pics are wonderful. The temple at at the top of the BIG mound of dirt is cool. And I'm glad you did what your mom taught you and had on clean socks that day!
    We will continue to pray for you here and you keep the pictures coming!
    Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timothy, thanks for sharing! I miss you and I am excited about all that God is doing! I will be praying for you! - Nat PS. Ding the cookies are done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more post before I leave. Perfect...

    I am just so excited about how you're doing and what you're doing and whoa, just everything. Good for you. :) We'll talk(ish) in a few weeks. Can't wait for it all. Now, for 24 hours on planes? My word...

    You keep loving Thailand. Oh! The people who run this NGO I work for, they go to Thailand every other year for a couple weeks. The little girl even was wearing a Thailand shirt today. My how I miss you, Gerald. (Was that your code name? Was mine Sheryl or something? Hmm... ) Anywho, proud of you and praying. Have a lovely next three weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Do pray that I don't get AIDS or anything because I'll be in the AIDS center most of my time. I'm not a bit worried about Malaria or Typhoid because I'm taking pills for that. Anyways, No AIDS. God is magnificent and all powerful!

    Do great things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pictures!!! Glad your having a good time! Which guest house are you at? My grandma has some friends from ohio who are taking over the guest house we stayed in! Let me know thier names so I know its them! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So... of course you would ring every bell! I would have done the same! :)

    You look tall because you have such a long neck. haha

    Love the picture of your feet!

    I'm sure your mom was happy to see your fortune said, "Long journeys will be undertaken safe and sound."

    I thought Buddha was fat...

    You look right at home in those old clothes. You were definitely born in the wrong century!

    I would have to be saying that food prayer ALL the time! Except maybe at DQ! lol

    Uncle Stephen leaves Monday. Pray for those guys (and me, too!) - they get back on the 17th.

    Love you and your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie: you know, I'll look into getting one of those outfits to wear around Bluff next year; I could certainly get a reputation! lol. Thanks for the prayers as always! Haha...hopefully life in So IL isn't too bad. I want to go see up, glad to hear another great review. It doesn't come out here until June 11. Glad to hear an update from you. And I love your name. I was randomly thinking about that the other day. lol
    Mom: Things are going really well. Glad you like the pics. There's so much to see it's amazing...maybe I took over 200 pictures that day?! lol. Of course, I had no clean socks. I listen! lol. Thanks for the prayers and I will do my best to keep up with this thing!
    Natalie: Thanks for your prayers! Good to hear from you; I hope you're doing well. I can't wait to hang out when I get back and tell you all about it. And I lol-ed at your last statement! Miss you.
    Beth: yay for ridiculously long plane rides! lol. That's an awesome connection to Thailand. And I have no idea what our code names were; I can't remember. You have a great three weeks too! I will pray that you don't get AIDS and that all goes well :)

    Kristen: Thanks as always for reading. I'm at the BHC where we stayed last year, and now I remember you saying that. There names are David and Becky Cavanaugh. I think that is the people, right? What's your Grandma's name?
    Aunt Denice: I loved the random thoughts of your post. Long neck: true. I'm sure my mom was happy about the fortune too. I thought it was pretty good. There are different stages of the Buddha that represent different things. The Thai Buddha is the skinny one. The fat one is Chinese. Sometimes I wonder about the being born in the wrong century thing...Usually the food's not scary...but you never know about street food. I will be praying for those guys (and for you). It's gonna be so great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes timothy!! those are my Grandma Linda Guenthers friends!!! They are really sweet people!!! tell them I said HI!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you rang all the bells! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pics. I wish I could've rang the bells with you...it's kinda like at Long John Silvers. Let's go there when you get back.

    I'm glad you didn't get sick from the street food... "O Jesus let this not make me sick!" We may need to pray that when we take the previously mentioned trip to Long John Silvers. Ugh. My tummy isn't happy at the thought.

    Here's an update on my summer: I'm on my Mac a lot, and I learned how to Slackline. You should try it. It's even harder than the Ripstik though. I'll catch your face if you want.

    K, bye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristen: That's awesome, I thought I remembered that once you said it.
    Sarah: You would. Love you too!
    Aaron: Kinda, only a LOT cooler! And I'm def up for LJS! But you're right, that's a lot of grease. Glad your summer is going well, and even happier that that Mac is going well. Okay, you know you would have to catch my face if I tried that thing! Harder than the ripstick?! oi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Timothy. It's always so great to hear how you are doing?

    You know what is more great than that?

    Oh, just seeing you in that HI-larious costume! You look so noble.

    Praying for you, and the people you're reaching out to.

    See you next week, right? :)

    ReplyDelete