30 July 2009

Beautiful Goodbye

So this is the worst part. The part that hurts the most. The bitter-sweet part. The part that's labeled "goodbye."

Or, hopefully, "So long." "Until then." "See ya later."

This week, since teaching school, has been really relaxed, really free. Sometimes this was great, and others I felt a little lazy. I haven't had many responsibilities, which means I got to hang out with people and do a lot of English Corners.

Saturday I took the new Journey girls to JJ weekend market. It was cool to use some of my experience to help them adjust to life in Bangkok. They will live here for three months before they move to Chiang Rai, a town in the north, to do agriculture and water projects. It was a lot of fun hanging out with them.

Sunday was my last service at New Vision Baptist Church. I haven't been there since Chiang Mai, so it was great to get to experience that one last time before leaving.
Monday I think about all I did was the English Corner in the evening from 4-7.
Tuesday I went to see Chang Noi (Little Elephant) Ministries. It was through Chang Noi that we taught in schools last week. They have a nursery school for pre-K children and we got to see that place--called the Abba House. Lee Davis, the director of Chang Noi Ministries is seen below. She also showed us some of the slum in the surrounding area.

Wednesday I went shopping/hung out with some MKs (missionary kids). They were a lot of fun and so helpful! They know their way around and speak a good deal of Thai. It's great to see not just this country but the world through their eyes. Plus, many vendors give a better price to anyone who speaks Thai! They just got a new Dairy Queen in one of the malls here, and they give free refills! This is a big deal here; I've heard a lot of talk. So we had lunch there. The whole day was just a lot of fun. (Caleb was there too, but he was sitting by me, so not in the picture.)

Today I went to the English Corner again and had some great conversations with people. Afterwards I met my Thai friends and we all went to supper together one last time. I thought it was just going to be the three guys, but it ended up that just about everyone was there! Joe, Jack, and Mart (my three best friends); Cherry; AK, Opal, and Joe (from Prathunam); and all four moms! (Ote, Add, Eet, and Elle)! I was so happy to see them as I haven't seen them since Chiang Mai. I couldn't believe it; it was so amazing of them to all get together to see me off one last time. I'm really going to miss them. I wish I would have had even more opportunities to get to know them. Mom Ote got a little teary-eyed, and I wasn't far myself. She even gave me a hug and a kiss (which is a big deal to this culture--and because they know that we do that). As I was walking toward the SkyTrain, they kept waving and waving until I literally was out of sight. Everyone else is planning on meeting me at the airport.

So my goodbyes really began in Chiang Mai. I had to give them to people I just met a few days before, but felt so close to, and grew to love and love their ministries. Shortly after Chiang Mai, I met a couple in Bangkok on their way to the south and told them goodbye. They have been so wonderful to me. I (along with many of the Journeymen) call them grandma and grandpa. The last thing grandpa said to me was "Love Jesus." That is the most important thing. I must try to remember that.

This week I have been making rounds doing the same. Monday I told the Journey girls, Heather and Anna, goodbye as they are moving back to the Northeast. They have been so kind and helpful and I've loved hanging out with them. I'm glad I got to hang out with them some again. Today I told Becky goodbye and told her to tell David (her husband) goodbye for me. (He's who teaches the class at Prathunam Center.) I also told Jennie goodbye. She is the one who organized the conference in Chiang Mai, whom I worked under while I was there. We had a good little chat and she said she hoped this was more of a so long. I hope so too.

Of course goodbyes are always difficult, but I really do feel like these are not goodbyes. I really feel like I might come back--and that is exciting! I have no idea what God has in store at this point, but I feel like another trip to Thailand is a definite possibility. I hope this will be the case. If not, then aren't all Christian "goodbyes" merely "farewells"? Praise God for that.

Well, here I am, two days left, and I'm not sure exactly how much this has sunk in. I guess all I can do is make the most of it. Praise God ever for his goodness and mercy which will follow you always. He knows what he's doing, and it's perfect. Even his timing. See you soon :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure those are just "so longs" for you, Timothy. I can't imagine that you would never go back again. Thailand seems to be your adopted country. Maybe you can take your wife there someday! ;) Or.. .maybe she is already there... lol
    While you are saying "so long" over there, we are looking forward to saying "HELLO!" over here! :D We'll be praying for you as you travel. See you soon!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been wonderful reading your blog updates Timothy! Goodbyes are certainly a little sad, but it seems to me that God has given you a love of the Thai people for a reason! Go back and serve Him when you can!

    In other news, I'm certainly glad you'll be in Illinois again...I cannot wait to hang out again and laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Denice: haha...who knows my future with Thailand, but thanks for the encouragement.
    Aaron: Thanks for reading! I'm glad you've enjoyed them. And I can't wait to hang out either...soon! And of course there will be laughing...it's a necessity.

    ReplyDelete